Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Q&A with Catherine Lloyd, author of DEATH COMES TO THE VILLAGE


Death Comes to the Village
Welcome, Catherine! Thank you so much for joining me. Could you tell us about your new Regency-set mystery, Death Comes to the Village?
Thank you for having me! Death Comes to the Village is set just after the Napoleonic wars, and involves the unlikely pairing of a bed-ridden high handed war hero and a spinsterish rector's daughter who come together to solve a mystery in their small quiet village. It's rather like a young Miss Marple meets “Rear Window”.

You also write erotic historicals as Kate Pearce. Did you find it difficult or a nice change of pace to write a genteel historical mystery?
They are very different beasts. The erotic historicals are character driven and based around a strong romantic arc and sexual conflict whereas the mysteries are more factual and are like putting the pieces of a jigsaw puzzle together. The mysteries also take a lot more plotting up front or they don't make sense. :)

What are some of your favorite authors, books, genres to read?
I read everything. My favorite authors include Dorothy Dunnett, Jane Austen, Agatha Christie, Rosemary Sutcliffe, Diane Gabaldon and Linda Howard. I will have a go at reading anything apart from horrors and thrillers because my imagination is too vivid to stop the nightmares.

Do you have any pets for writing companions?
I'm in transit from California to Hawaii so my dear old dog, a Cavalier King Charles spaniel was too old to make the trip and stayed with my son. My Maine coon cat, George, is currently in quarantine, and we've adopted a new cat in Hawaii called Jennifer who is technically my daughter's cat. She's asleep under my desk at the moment and I keep inadvertently poking her with my toes.

What is a typical writing day like for you?
I take my daughter to school and by 8 I'm either exercising, or sitting at my desk doing email. I spend a couple of hours every day doing all the social media stuff, and then I write for about 4 hours. I pick my daughter up around 3, and after that it's all homework, nagging and getting dinner. If I'm behind with my writing I'll go back and do some more work after dinner, but I try not to.

What are you working on now?
I'm writing the second of the Kurland St. Mary mystery series, tentatively titled Death Comes to Almacks, which mainly takes place in London but features the same hero and heroine as book one.

I'm also writing a few shorter pieces for my Kate Pearce brand including digital books and self-published books. I like to be busy.

In closing, what is one thing your loyal readers might be surprised to learn about you?
How very deeply boring I am in real life. :) Oh and that despite the fact that my 4 kids sound American, 3 of them were born in the UK and used to have the same English accent as I still have.


Please visit Catherine Lloyd online:


DEATH COMES TO THE VILLAGE is an Indie Next Selection!

 “Lloyd’s delightful debut…Readers will hope that death returns soon to Kurland St. Mary.” – Publishers Weekly (Starred Review)

 "A skillfully crafted mystery that combines a wounded war hero, an inquisitive rector’s daughter and a quaint peaceful village with some sinister secrets. The details of village life lend authenticity to the story and the evolving relationship between amateur sleuth Lucy and Major Kurland provides great entertainment. Lucy’s internal struggles with family duties and wishes for her future create a compelling picture of a young woman trying to find the courage to stand up for herself." – RT Book Reviews, 4.5 Stars, TOP PICK!

About the Book: A wounded soldier and a rector's daughter discover strange goings-on in the sleepy village of Kurland St. Mary in Catherine Lloyd's charming Regency-set mystery debut.
Major Robert Kurland has returned to the quiet vistas of his village home to recuperate from the horrors of Waterloo. However injured his body may be, his mind is as active as ever. Too active, perhaps. When he glimpses a shadowy figure from his bedroom window struggling with a heavy load, the tranquil facade of the village begins to loom sinister…
Unable to forget the incident, Robert confides in his childhood friend, Miss Lucy Harrington. As the dutiful daughter of the widowed rector, following up on the major's suspicions offers a welcome diversion—but soon presents real danger. Someone is intent on stopping their investigation. And in a place where no one locks their doors, a series of thefts and the disappearance of two young serving girls demands explanation…
As Robert grapples with his difficult recovery, he and Lucy try to unearth the dark truth lurking within the village shadows, and stop a killer waiting to strike again…


2 comments:

Lark @ The Bookwyrm's Hoard said...

A Regency-era mystery series? Bring it on! This is definitely going on my TBR list!

Katreader said...

I enjoy Regency romances so a Regency mystery sounds wonderful!